This is a sample of some of the projects I’ve been working on recently. Some of the most interesting work-pieces are covered by an NDA, which won’t let me go into specifics.
Each development project lists the specific skills that were used to bring the project to fruition.
More portfolio content coming soon when I have time to write it up… 🙂
Skills, Methodologies and Workflow.
- PHP 7 - Fully PHP 7+ compatible, using MVC and object oriented programming.
- MySQL - I completed all stages of the database creation, including design and planning through to optimisation and indexes.
- Google Maps - I integrated the Google Maps API, to allow the websites end-users to find their property address and drag/dropping the map pointer to the exact location.
- Design - HTML / Bootstrap / CSS - I designed and developed all aspects of the website including the front-end.
- Weather API - I integrated a weather API to provide weather stats in the end-user's dashboard.
- IMAP Email Handling - I developed (see code) an IMAP reader, that would read from an IMAP mailbox and import enquiries and messages into the system.
- iCal Integration - I developed the website to integrate with .iCal files and feeds - pulling in calendar events, and pushing new events.
- Payment Integration - I integrated a custom Stripe + PayPal solution, to allow the website to charge subscriptions in the future.
- SSL and Security - I was charged with installing and setting up SSL and security on the website.
- Social media Integration - I developed a PHP twitter widget, that would pull in the @ukchalets twitter feed.
- PDF, CSV Creation - I developed a solution that allows the website end-users to download their reports in a variety of formats such as PDF and CSV, using a custom advanced token based generator.
UK property listing directory
The client wanted a bespoke property listing platform designed using pure PHP with OOP and a MySQL database.
They wanted to avoid the large WordPress/Laravel route, and so using a simple routing framework (Slim), I created the UK Chalets website using MVC principles.
The websites uses PHP 7+ compatible code with the frontend using HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap and jQuery elements. I chose MySQL for the database as we decided this was the best fit.
I designed and wrote a custom control panel CMS for both the client's administrative tasks and for the end-users to manage their accounts.
Using the control panel, the end-user is able to upload their own holiday property details, images, availability and other information and then, once approved, the information will be visible on the main property search front end in the form of a full-page advertisement.
The client wanted a simple, clean, user-friendly way to allow property owners to list their properties and update their listings themselves without having to manually create the listings.
I also designed several jQuery plugins in the process including an availability calendar and a wizard-style property editor.
Some of the notable features of the website that I created include:
- Add/Update property wizard,
- Add/Update/Delete Price range blocks to automatically fill the front-end calendar availability,
- Bookings - Allows the user to manage property bookings, and 'marks out' the calendar for booked periods,
- Reports - Generate reports that can be printed or downloaded in PDF and CSV formats,
- Enquires - respond to enquiries directly from the control panel. This involved reading an IMAP mailbox and sorting out the enquiries for each user.
- Helpdesk - a custom ticket-based helpdesk that allows admin to respond to ticket helpdesk requests faster,
We integrated several third-party APIs to provide:
- Maps (using Google Maps API)
- Weather (using Open Weather Map API)
- Analytics (using Google Analytics)
- iCal calendar Integration
The client was extremely happy with the end product and I was delighted to have worked with them to bring UK Chalets to life.
Skills, Methodologies and Workflow.
- PHP 7
- Rest API
- Design and UI
A multi-user blog hosting platform
Developing a bespoke social blogging platform to replace the in-place WordpressMU setup, working to re-factor the setup with advanced features added using code written for PHP7 (using MVC principles and object-oriented programming) and a MySQL database.
- Scratch-built blogging platform to be able to support thousands of blogs and over 100,000 requests daily.
- Using a factory pattern and object-oriented programming.
- Designing and developing the required MySQL Infrastructure.
- Developing a bespoke API for use in the back-end control panel.
- Following the MVC pattern for planning, designing, programming and cross-browser testing front/back-end code.
- Developing an advanced feature-set including:
- Following feature.
- Followers feature.
- 'Like' feature.
- Re-blogging feature.
- Messages or private messaging feature.
- Advanced theme customizer.
- Dedicated ticket-based help desk panel - with uploads, email responses, IMAP mailbox monitoring, etc.
- Back-end control panel using the developed Rest API, using jQuery and AJAX to update views.
- Documenting features and technical specifications adhering to PSR-5 recommendations.
- Integration with social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Youtube and Pinterest.